NEW YORK – Made by Nacho announced several business expansions on April 20 in celebration of its first anniversary. The cat food brand, co-founded by celebrity chef Bobby Flay and his cat Nacho Flay, has launched more than 18 new cat food products and announced new distribution partnerships.
Following the success of its Series A funding round in February 2022, which closed with $14 million in investments, Made by Nacho raised a total of $24 million in investments from New Fare Partners, Mars’ Companion Fund and others.
Founded in 2021, Made by Nacho has already carved out a niche for itself in the premium cat food segment of the industry, completing over 400,000 transactions as of April 2022.
“Although cats now outnumber dogs as pets in the United States, there is tremendous market stagnation when it comes to cats,” said Tessa Gould, CEO of Made by Nacho. “Half of all cat parents think cats aren’t given enough attention, and almost three-quarters wish there were healthier options available for felines. Yet despite the clear desire consumers to innovate and the fact that cat food is a big…and a growing market globally, almost all of the venture capital funding in the pet industry goes to companies focused on dogs.
“Made by Nacho changes that,” Gould added. “When we launched a year ago, we knew we had something special with our culinary approach – thanks to chef Bobby Flay – but we’ve been blown away by the consumer response to our brand and our recipes over the course of our first year of business.”
To meet the growing demand for cat food, Made by Nacho has unveiled 18 new references, including its first pâté recipe and a recipe exclusively for kittens.
New products include pâtés, fillings, kibbles for adult cats and kittens, minced formulas and treats:
- The pâté is available in recipes Grain-Free Salmon and Crabstick, Grain-Free Chicken for Adult Cats, and Grain-Free Skin and Coat Herring and Cod, all in 6.4 oz packages.
- Pureed Functional Toppers are available in a cage-free chicken and bone broth formula with varieties of immune support, digestive support, and bone and joint support, all in 1.4 oz packages.
- Culinary croquettes are available in a paella-inspired white fish, chicken and bone broth recipe and a Provencal-style grain-free, cage-free chicken, turkey and bone broth recipe, both in 2 lb, 4 lb and 10 lb Bags.
- Kitten kibbles are available in chicken broth, chicken liver, and bone-in formulas, all in 2lb and 4lb bags.
- Chopped recipes include a grain-free crabstick and salmon recipe, as well as a grain-free chicken recipe, both in 6.4 oz pouches.
- Freeze Dried Cat Treats are available in Salmon and Ahi Tuna varieties in 1.6 oz and 1.9 oz pouches.
In addition to new products, Made by Nacho has expanded its distribution to include e-commerce companies Chewy and Petco.com. The brand was originally launched with exclusive distribution to over 1,300 PetSmart stores. Made by Nacho will also remain available on its own direct-to-consumer platform as well as on Amazon.
Along with new products and distribution expansion, Made by Nacho also launched limited-edition human products to celebrate its anniversary. The “Very Serious Business Cat” collection included hats and mugs featuring Maine Coon Nacho Flay, with 100% of all proceeds going to the company’s Charitable Fund which supports feline rescue and research organizations.
According to Made by Nacho, supporting animal shelters, adoption programs and cat health researchers is a key aspect of its brand, which seeks to help every cat. To date, the company has donated over 200,000 meals to cats in need and, most recently, Made by Nacho partnered with the International Fund for Animal Welfare to help provide emergency relief. to animal shelters in Ukraine.
“When Nacho and I decided to create Made by Nacho, we wanted to provide cat food that was not only healthy and nutritious, but also delicious – something that we felt was really lacking in the market,” Flay said. “Our rapid growth in our first year proves to me that other cat parents feel the same, and we are grateful to everyone who has welcomed Made by Nacho into their home. For us, the work has only just begun; we can’t wait to show you the exciting things we have in store as we head into year two.”
Read more news from pet food manufacturers.